CANTON, Ohio, Oct. 5, 2011 /PRNewswire/ -- The Timken Company (NYSE: TKR) recently completed construction of a new state-of-the-art engine test cell at the company's Mesa, Ariz., facility and now provides complete in-house engine and component overhaul services to fixed-wing and rotorcraft operators on a variety of engine platforms.
The test cell includes:
- Two bays with separate controls allowing two different engines to run simultaneously;
- A new dynamometer rated at 2200 BHP and 7000 rev/min that is more reliable and can test a wider range of engines;
- A fully integrated state-of-the-art data acquisition system providing customers with complete testing reports;
- Interchangeable engine adapters and carts allowing maximum flexibility, increased test capacity and quick changeovers; and
- An inlet air system that reduces temperatures at the engine by 20 degrees Fahrenheit, providing the opportunity to run on extremely hot days.
"We now have one stop for everything the customer needs, and that means they will enjoy faster service and reduced aircraft downtime," said Larry Shiembob, general manager of Timken's Aerospace Aftermarket Solutions. "With these comprehensive capabilities at Timken's Mesa facility we can now receive a customer's engine, completely overhaul it with either OEM or Timken replacement parts, and complete acceptance testing, all at one location," he said. Shiembob explained that the investment benefits customers by improving engine overhaul capabilities with more efficient, on-site testing. This allows Timken to control the entire process and increase throughput for engine overhauls.
The test cell is currently capable of analyzing the Pratt & Whitney PT6A, PT6T platforms, as well as the T53 engine. Timken will be part of the NBAA 2011 convention October 10–12 in Las Vegas (Booth C6634). Shiembob and other company experts will be on-hand to talk about the new test cell, along with Timken's precision-engineered components and assemblies for OEM and aftermarket customers in the aerospace industry. Timken brings 75 years of expertise to the industry, and the company's products span the lifecycle of commercial and military rotary- and fixed-wing aircraft. Timken Aftermarket products and services include design, engine and accessory overhaul, component overhaul and repair, bearing repair and replacement parts.
About The Timken Company
The Timken Company (NYSE: TKR; www.timken.com) keeps the world turning with innovative friction management and power transmission products and services that help machinery perform efficiently and reliably. With sales of $4.1 billion in 2010 and 20,000 people operating from locations in 30 countries, Timken is Where You Turn® for better performance.
SOURCE The Timken Company