CANTON, Ohio: May 25, 2010 — Leveraging organic investments sustained during the recession to expand both its wind power offering and capacity domestically and internationally, The Timken Company (NYSE: TKR) this week introduced what is for the company a record number of new product developments for the industry at the 2010 Windpower Conference and Exhibition.
Timken, the 110-year-old market leader in proprietary alloy steel and power transmission components and systems, is the only company serving the wind-energy industry with engineering and manufacturing in both competencies critical to the sustainable performance of wind turbines.
Timken also retooled and expanded facilities in Asheboro, N.C. and Tyger River, S.C., to serve its customers, in addition to existing wind bearing production in Wuxi, China; Chennai, India; and Ploiesti, Romania. This week, the company began shipping its initial production from a new plant in Xiangtan, China. Timken also provides clean steel from its facilities in Canton, Ohio for its own production and various wind-energy components for other customers.
Now working with the world’s leading wind turbine manufacturers at varying stages of development, Timken has established a supply chain that is unrivaled in the breadth of manufacturing and service locations around the world dedicated to serve the industry.
“From engineering investment, to our manufacturing and service capabilities in every part of the world, Timken is in the best position to deliver exceptional value and lifecycle support to customers who are developing the next generation multi-megawatt-class turbines,” said Christopher Coughlin, president of Timken’s Process Industries Segment.
Among technology innovations Timken is highlighting at the 2010 Wind Energy Conference and Exhibition in Dallas May 22-26, Booth 2803, are:
- New Timken® Wear-Resistant Bearings, Cylindrical or Spherical: This breakthrough bearing technology extends predicted life up to three times longer than standard cylindrical or spherical bearings. With up to 15 percent less torque, Timken’s wear-resistant bearings resist damages such as smearing, scuffing, false brinelling and micropitting (technical paper available);
- The new UltraWind Tapered Roller Bearing from Timken has the highest life ratings in the industry, as certified by Germanischer Lloyd. This main-shaft, ultra large-bore bearing has a simplified drivetrain design that saves capital-equipment costs (see news release and product information);
- Timken’s new Wind Energy Lubrication System enhances optimal wind power production by precisely and evenly directing fresh grease to bearing inlets while actively purging old lubricant with a centralized lubrication- delivery device that works with either series-progressive or injector-based lubricant delivery methods (see news release and product information);
- Three new Wind Seals from Timken including the EcoTurn Labyrinth Seal, a non-contacting design that prevents grease migration and contaminants, ideally suited for Timken’s low-pressure lubrication system.The Elastomer Wind Seal is engineered with a flexible sealing lip to handle bearing deflections and minimize friction and cone wear; while the PTFE Wind Energy Seal offers excellent chemical inertness and low friction to help maximize performance (see product information);
- Timken's new Middle Frequency Induction Heater is designed to provide a simple and safe approach to assembly and disassembly of large bearings for wind energy (see product information);
- Timken's Planet Pac and Integrated Flexpin Bearings provide power dense solutions designed to increase performance and reliability of gearboxes;
- Clean Timken® Steel provides superior strength and durable performance for bearings and gears (see product information);
- Timken's Online Intelligence System offers a unique condition-monitoring system designed specifically to improve uptime for low-speed powertrains.
- Timken's proprietary Syber Advanced Wind System Analysis engineering platform reduces development time and costs while optimizing main shaft and gearbox systems for sustainable performance.
These are among a record number of new products and technologies the company is showcasing at the 2010 Windpower Conference and Exhibition in Dallas, May 22-26, Booth 2803. More information about Timken’s capabilities for the wind-energy industry is available online, including a complete media kit, at:http://www.timken.com/EN-US/about/NewsRoom/MediaKits/Pages/MediaKits.aspx. Animations illustrating the company's wind-energy applications are available at:http://www.youtube.com/thetimkencompany.
About The Timken Company
The Timken Company (NYSE: TKR, http://www.timken.com) keeps the world turning with innovative friction management and power transmission products and services, enabling our customers’ machinery to perform more efficiently and reliably. With sales of $3.1 billion in 2009, operations in 26 countries/territories and approximately 17,000 employees, Timken is Where You Turn® for better performance.
The Timken Company
Media Contact: Lorrie Paul Crum
Manager – Global Media and Strategic Communications
Mail Code: GNW-37
1835 Dueber Avenue, S.W.
Canton, OH 44706 U.S.A.
Office: (330) 471-3514
Mobile: (330) 224-5021
Investor Contact: Steve Tschiegg
Director – Capital Markets and Investor Relations
Mail Code: GNE-26
1835 Dueber Avenue, S.W.
Canton, OH 44706 U.S.A.
Office: (330) 471-7446